This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: r
• NADH donates electrons to
the electron transport chain.
• The energy from these
electrons is used for ATP
synthesis. Cellular metabolism occurs in three stages
• In stage one of metabolism food is broken down into
smaller subunits (digestion).
• Food contains proteins, lipids, and polysaccharides
• These macromolecules must be broken down into amino
acids, fatty acids, and sugars before they are useful energy
• It requires specialized enzymes that can breakdown the
• This occurs outside of the cell (intestine) or in specialized
View Full Document