Chapter 17 Evolution of Protists
1. The organism which causes malaria is
A. a virus.
B. a bacterium.
C. a protist.
D. an Archaean.
E. a fungus.
2. All diseases caused by protozoans must be transmitted by a vector.
3. If you were studying diseases caused by protozoans which are not transmitted by insects, then you would
study all of the following except:
4. Which of the following statements about the origin of eukaryotic cells is not true?
A. The mitochondria came from aerobic bacteria.
B. Eukaryotic cells are the product of endosymbiosis.
C. The chloroplast came from cyanobacteria.
D. Eukaryotic cells evolved from prokaryotes.
E. The chloroplast came from aerobic bacteria.
5. Of the following statements about protists, which one is false?
A. They can be photosynthetic.
B. They can be heterotrophic.
C. Only multicellular protists have a nucleus.
D. They can reproduce sexually.
E. They can reproduce asexually.
6. If you were writing a paper on the beneficial aspects of the protists for humans and the environment, which
of the following would not be part of your paper?
A. They have a parasitic relationship with some organisms
B. They can give off oxygen
C. They can be a major component of plankton
D. They can form symbiotic relationships with corals
E. They serve as a food source for many organisms
7. You have discovered a previously unknown protist! Which approach would you, as a modern-day
researcher, most likely use to classify it?
A. Whether it is parasitic or free-living
B. Its DNA and/or RNA
C. Whether it is heterotrophic or autotrophic
D. Whether it is sexual or asexual
E. Whether it is unicellular or multicellular
8. Which of the following terms would not be associated with the trypanosomes?
9. A biologist is doing research on African sleeping sickness. Based on this information, you would conclude
that he or she is studying which of the following?
10. Which of the following is a sexually transmitted disease?
11. A hiker fills up his canteen from a mountain pond in the western United States. If he does not treat the
water before drinking it he runs the risk of being infected by which of the following?
12. If you were studying euglenoids, you would most likely find them
A. in shallow saltwater ecosystems.
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.