This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: & calcium supplements to
facilitate bone development Obesity and Fertility
• Obesity increases likelihood of reproductive
• Obesity rates in U.S.
• 24.2% of men (BMI ≥30)
24.2% • 23.5% of women (BMI ≥30)
• 3% of population are massively obese (BMI ≥40)
3% Biological Bases for Infertility in
Obese Men and Women Obesity and Fertility
• Central body fat & fertility
• Central obesity increases time required to conceive • Weight loss & fertility
• Should be the first fertility therapy for obese people
• Loss of 7 to 22 pounds in overweight women & 100
pounds in massively obese men increases fertility Pregnancy after Gastric Bypass
• Fertility restored in many women after wt loss from
• Average time for delivery is 27 months after surgery
• Gestational diabetes & pregnancy-induced hypertension
more common in women who have had gastric bypass Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
• 10% of women of childbearing age
The leading cause of female infertility
Many with PCOS are obese or have high
levels of intra-abdominal fat
• Cause is u...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 07/19/2012 for the course HN 510 taught by Professor Melgareo during the Spring '12 term at Kansas State University.
- Spring '12