This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ight, seeking shade,
changing color and reducing metabolic rates during the day.
67. C. When an animal is in a situation where it must dissipate heat, the most efficient way to do
so would be to maximize the surface area to volume ratio, thereby allowing for maximum
heat loss. A ribbon shape has a much greater surface area than a sphere (which has the
smallest surface area to volume ratio of any known shape).
68. B. The body creates a fever in hopes of killing the invading organisms by denaturizing their
proteins. Because the body would naturally attempt to decrease the body’s temperature in
order to maintain homeostasis, changing the set-point to a higher temperature would prevent
the body’s cooling mechanisms from starting and decreasing the body’s temperature. Answer
A is incorrect because the body cannot change it’s basal metabolic rate on demand. Answer
C is incorrect because the body cannot shut-down a basic function such as sweating on
demand. Answer D is incorrect because the body must always know its internal temperature
to ensure it does not denature its own proteins.
69. D. Water is lost through the skin primarily as a means to keep the body at normal
temperatures. Therefore, raising the environmental temperature would cause a person to
perspire, releasing water to the environment where it can evaporate and cool down the body.
70. D. The passage indicates that a change in the base sequence occurs, affecting a single triplet
codon. A deletion or an insertion causing a reading frameshift and will affect more than a Page 8 of 12 single codon. An inversion involves the reversal of a codon, e.g., ACT becomes TCA. Valine
is coded by GUN while glutamine acid is coded by GAA or GAG; they are not inversions of
each other. Therefore, only answer D is a possible answer.
71. C. Heterozygote advantage is defined as a selective advantage incurred by having the
heterozygote condition for a particular locus. The heterozygous condition is more
advantageous than either homozygous condition. Answer A is incorrect because inbreeding
View Full Document
- Spring '11