This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: st greater risk MHS 6702 5 Hagedorn SLAP
• S ___________________________
P ___________________________ SLAP
– How specific are the details of the client’s
is suicide plan?
– How lethal is the plan?
– What is the likelihood of being successful? SLAP
– Does the client have the necessary means
to end his/her life?
– Do the means have to be acquired at
some future date?
– Are rescuers close in proximity?
– Does the client have caring people in
his/her life? MHS 6702 6 Hagedorn Alternatives to Breaching
• Ask client to check into a hospital
• Increase the number of sessions
• Ask if you can tell a third party to rid the
house of guns, drugs, etc.
• Communicate caring and concern Protecting Children from Harm Sticking up for those that cannot
stick up for themselves… When Must I Report Abuse?
• If a child discloses they are being
• If an adult reveals in therapy they are abusing or have
abused a child
• Florida criteria for mandatory abuse reporting:
– There is reasonable cause to suspect that a ____________
(less than 18 years old)
– who can be ___________________, or is temporarily out of
the state but expected to return in the immediate future,
– has been ________________ or is believed to be
– from a person _________________________ of the child. MHS 6702 7 Hagedorn Reporting Abuse
• Florida Abuse Hotline
• ________________________ (800-962-2873)
• http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/abuse/ Information Needed
• Victim name, location, age, race and gender
• Physical, mental, or behavioral issues indicating
• Signs or indications of ___________________
• Relationship of the alleged perpetrator to the
• Your name and means to contact
• How frequently does the abuse, abandonment
and/or neglect occur and _________________
___________________ (prior to this incident). Odds and Ends…
• Anonymous reports
• Professional reports
• _________________________________, except
if child is now an adult
• Some say that it is good to report as the
perpetrator may have current access to children
• Perpetrators may not come for treatment
• Let the limits be known – the...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/12/2011 for the course MHS 6702 taught by Professor Mejia,x during the Summer '08 term at University of Central Florida.
- Summer '08