8-Storage Structure

Segments tracking in segment free and used space is

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: CTUSED, FREELISTS are managed automatically – Ease of use • It is a method of managing free space inside database segments • Tracking in-segment free and used space is done using bitmaps as opposed to free lists • This method provides Automatic Segment-Space Management Storage Structure Tathagata Bhattacharjee • Run-time adjustments to variations in concurrent access are improved • Restrictions: Can not be used for tablespaces which will contain LOBs Storage Structure Tathagata Bhattacharjee • Bitmap segments contain a bitmap that describes the status of each block in the segment with respect to its available space • The map is contained in a separate set of blocks referred to as bitmapped blocks (BMBs) • When inserting a new row, the server searches the map for a block with sufficient space • As the amount of space available in a block changes, its new state is reflected in the bitmap Storage Structure Tathagata Bhattacharjee SQL> CREATE TABLESPACE data02 DATAFILE ‘d:\oracle\oradata\mydb\data02.dbf’ SIZE 5M EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 64K SEGMENT SPACE MANAGEMENT AUTO; • Automatic segment-space management can be enabled at the tablespace level only, for locally managed tablespaces • After a tablespace is created, the specifications apply to all segments created in the tablespace Configuring Automatic SegmentSpace Management Storage Structure Tathagata Bhattacharjee • Only method available in previous Oracle versions – PCTFREE PCTUSED FREELIST • Allows you to configure data blocks manually using parameters such as: Manual Data Block Management 1. Rows are inserted into blocks until the free space in the block is equal to or less than 20%. The block is no longer available for inserts when rows occupy 80% or more of the available data space in the block 2. The remaining 20% can be used when the size of a row increases. E.g. a column that was originally NULL is updated to an a value. Thus block utilization may be in access Tathagata Bhattacharjeea of 80% as Storage Structure result of updates • The following steps explain how...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online