Course Hero Logo

Psychology 200-006 (Mayhorn) Review Sheet for Exam #2.pdf -...

Course Hero uses AI to attempt to automatically extract content from documents to surface to you and others so you can study better, e.g., in search results, to enrich docs, and more. This preview shows page 1 - 3 out of 5 pages.

Psychology 200-006 (Mayhorn) Review Sheet for Exam #2The second exam will cover materials from the textbook (Chapters 4, 6, 7, & 11) as well as the lectures. Themajority of the test material (80%) will come directly from the lecture with the remaining 20% coming from thetextbook. A number of questions are applied….this means that you will have to be familiar with concepts and beable to apply them in specific situations.Be familiar with the following concepts:How Motivations affect behavior:Preference- for one activity over anotherIntensity- vigor or intensity of responsePersistence- of organized patterns of action towards a goalTypes of MotivesPrimary- serve biological needs; common to all animals (e.g., hunger etc.)Complex- learned behaviors typically involving social interactionHypothetical ConstructsHunger as a MotiveBlood glucose levels- hunger is tied to blood glucose levelHypothalamic involvementLateral portion- tells us when to eatVentromedial portion- tells us when to stop eatingExternal CuesDietSocial FactorsEating DisordersObesityBodily Factors→ Digestive apparatus→ Lower metabolic rateGenetic Factors→ Twin studiesBehavioral Factors→ Externality HypothesisAnorexia Nervosa (Eating Disorder)Three phases:→ Phase 1: Increased concern for physical appearance→ Phase 2: Increased fear that eating will make them fat→ Problem admission and increased food intakeTreatmentsBulimiaArousal as a MotiveSensory Deprivation studies→ Humans are motivated to maintain an optimal level of arousalOptimal Arousal is Task Dependent→ Easy tasks- higher optimal level of arousal→ Moderately difficult tasks- medium level→ Difficult tasks- lower level of arousalLearningAny relatively permanent change in behavior that occurs because of experienceTypes of Conditioning
Classical- learning associations between 2 stimulus events→ Pavlov’s dogs→ Little AlbertUCS: Loud noiseUCR: Albert criesCS: Rat paired with loud noiseCR: Albert criesOperant (Instrumental)- learning association between behavior and consequencesUnconditioned (Not learned) Stimulus:stimulus elicits reflexive response; EX- smell of foodUnconditioned Response:reflexive (automatic) response; EX- salivation to smell of food

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

End of preview. Want to read all 5 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a

Course Hero member to access this document

Term
Spring
Professor
craig

Newly uploaded documents

Show More

Newly uploaded documents

Show More

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture