COMM 378 Powerpoint Czech Republic - Slide1 o Slide2 o ,

COMM 378 Powerpoint Czech Republic - Slide1 o Slide2 o ,

This preview shows page 1 - 2 out of 3 pages.

Slide 1  o Today I am going to talk to you about the migration of the Czech Republic  to the Great Plains area.   Slide 2  o The Great Plains Region, I found this quote by Larry McMurty which I felt  is a good way to explain the Great Plains Region “The Great Plains…feel at  times like an almost forgotten region-and yet there are wonders in it.”  The  Great Plains is a vast area of grassland that stretches from the Rocky  Mountains to the Missouri River and from the Rio Grande to Canada.   Consist of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska,  Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Alberta, Saskatchewan,  and Manitoba.  “The region, once labeled "the Great American Desert," is  now more often called the "heartland or, sometimes, "the breadbasket of  the world." Slide 3  o The Czechs were one of the largest groups from Europe to settle in the  Great Plains. “Of the more than 620,000 Americans who reported Czech to  be their mother tongue in the 1920 census, 22.8 percent, or 141,782, lived  in the six Great Plains states from Texas through North Dakota. Ten years  earlier, 125,140 citizens in the same states constituted 23.6 percent of all  Czech Americans nationwide. Of the latter group, 72.8 percent resided in  Nebraska and Texas and the remaining 27.2 percent in Oklahoma, Kansas,  and the Dakotas. An additional 5,308 Czech Americans in 1910 lived in the  states of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana.”  A majority of  them moved to the “High Plains” region that consists of southeast  Nebraska, central Texas, central Oklahoma, north central Kansas, southeast  South Dakota, and eastern North Dakota. They lived either on large family 

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture