Japan vs US.docx - A Compare the U.S healthcare system with the healthcare system of Great Britain Japan Germany or Switzerland by doing the following 1

Japan vs US.docx - A Compare the U.S healthcare system with...

This preview shows page 1 - 3 out of 5 pages.

A. Compare the U.S. healthcare system with the healthcare system of Great Britain, Japan, Germany, or Switzerland, by doing the following: 1. Identify one country from the following list whose healthcare system you will compare to the U.S. healthcare system: Great Britain, Japan, Germany, or Switzerland. For this task I have choses to compare the healthcare system of Japan to the U.S. healthcare system. 2. Compare access between the two healthcare systems for children, people who are unemployed, and people who are retired. “Japan's health-care system mixes socialism with individual responsibility and market forces. The government pays one-quarter of the total health-care bill, and employers and workers pay the rest through mandatory insurance.” (Harden, 2009) In Japan, all citizens and their dependents are required to enroll in the Statutory Health Insurance System (SHIS). This system includes employment-based plans and residence-based plans. Fifty nine percent of citizens are covered by employment-based plans, of which there are approximately 1400 plans. The employment-based plans are funded by taxes and employee contributions. The employee pays approximately 5% of their salary for coverage and that is matched by the employer. Residence- based insurance plans, which include Citizen Health Insurance plans for non-employed individuals age 74 and under and Health Insurance for the Elderly plans, which cover adults age 75 and older. Each of Japan’s 47 regions, has its own residence-based insurance plan. These plans are paid for by individual contributions based on income and by federal and local government. The SHIS covers 70% of healthcare costs and citizens have a 30% responsibility, although this is often reduced for low income, elderly and very young individuals. All SHIS plans provide the same benefits package which is determined by the national government. The SHIS covers 98.3% of the population. The remaining 1.7% of the population is covered by the Public Social Assistance Program. This program is for impoverished individuals and is funded through federal and local governments. (Tikkanen, 2020) The United States insurance system is a mix of private and public coverage. The federal government funds Medicare, Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program. Medicare provides coverage for
Image of page 1
adults 65 years or older, persons with long term disabilities and those with end stage renal disease.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture