{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

As a result although most heavy metal poisons are not

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: tends to have a sweet taste). As a result, although most heavy metal poisons are not particularly toxic, the effects of heavy metal poisoning are typically only seen long-term, and can include uncontrolled trembling, insanity and death. The only way to combat these effects is through minimization of exposure to heavy metal poisoning. Mercury poses a particular hazard as vapors from the liquid accumulate in a room and quickly are at dangerous concentrations in the air. As a result, report ANY spills of mercury, as, for example, from a broken thermometer, as quickly as possible so it can be cleaned up immediately. Laboratory Equipment (1) Never heat a piece of glassware (beakers, flasks, etc.) that is chipped or cracked unless otherwise told to do so by your lab supervisor. Heating defective glassware can cause that glassware to break (or explode!), resulting in a spill. (2) If you have chipped or cracked glassware, or glassware with sharp or jagged edges, inform your lab supervisor immediately. The equipment will probably be replaced, or you may simply be given special instructions on using that bit of equipment. General Guidelines (1) Epilepsy, pregnancy, dyslexia as well as other medical conditions can be hazardous in the laboratory. Every effort will be made to keep you safe, but I will need some help. IF YOU HAVE ANY MEDICAL CONDITION WHICH YOU THINK MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO SAFELY PERFORM IN THE LABORATORY, OR THAT MAKES YOU Dakota State University Page 12 of 232 Safety Guidelines General Chemistry I and II Lab Manual PARTICULARLY AT RISK TO BE IN THE LABORATORY, PLEASE INFORM ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Many such conditions may be deemed personal, but the chemicals themselves cannot tell the difference. Therefore, please feel free to stop in my office as soon as possible so you can to tell me in private, and, of course, anything yo u do tell me will be kept in the strictest confidence. (2) To turn on a Bunsen burner, first turn the nozzle on the bottom of the burner all the way off, then turn it back on about 2 turns. With a LIT MATCH in one hand, slowly turn on the gas at the spigot. Hold the match near the edge of the burner as you do so the air being pushed out by the propane does not blow it out. Such a procedure will avoid "explosions" when lighting the burner. (3) Before using a burner, be sure nobody else on the bench has any organic solvents. Organic solvents are flammable, and heavier than air, meaning that as they evaporate, they creep down the edge of their container to the bench top, whereupon they spread out horizontally. Once these fumes reach an open flame, they can ignite causing "flashback", thereby causing the beaker of solvent to catch fire from four feet or more away! (4) Before getting any organic solvent, be sure nobody on your entire lab bench has an open flame. (5) Never take more of a reagent than you need. This means that if you need about 5 mL of a solvent, use your 10 mL beaker to get it, NOT your 600 mL beaker. (6) NEVER return an unused po...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online