First Grading Period
Observe the stress pattern in two-syllable word
Listen to these sentences.
The teacher has a class record.
The teacher records the grades of her pupil.
The couple signed the marriage contract.
Are you sure that this cloth will not contract after washing?
Marissa won the contest.
The coaches contest the question read by the quizmaster.
1. Does each pair of sentences have the same meaning?
2. Where is the stress in the first sentence? How about with the second
3. What happens to the meaning of the word when there is a stress shift?
4. What part of speech is used in the word with a stress on the first syllable?
How about in the word with a stress on the second syllable?
5. How are you going to pronounce the word with a stress on the first
syllable? How about with the word with a stress on the second syllable?