Running Head: DEVELOPMENT OF A BELIZEAN HOTEL 1Development of a Belizean Hotel: The Great House HotelEnrique AyusoUniversity of BelizeMs. Raisa DeVaughnMarch 19, 2019
DEVELOPMENT OF A BELIZEAN HOTEL2Development of a Belizean Hotel: The Great House Hotel The Great House Inn is located in the historic Fort George area. The Great House wasconstructed in 1927 for Mr. & Mrs. Barney Melhado, a prominent merchant of Belize.Mr. Melhado, whose family was, originally of Portuguese descent and born in Belize, contractedMr. Cuthbert N. Frazer, a Scotsman living in Belize, to build his home. Mr. Frazer was anindependent contractor was at that time in the commerce of trading mahogany to the BelizeEstate and Produce Company Ltd. It is alleged that the house was built for the equivalent of $12,000.00 U.S.D. Sometime in the late 1940s Mr. Melhado sold his superb home to The BelizeEstate and Produce Company Ltd. and moved to Nassau, Bahamas. The Belize Estate andProduce Company Ltd. had been functioning in Belize from the 1800s with its headquarters inLondon. This company owned incredible acreage of land in the Gallon Jug and Yalbac areas ofBelize and prime real estate in the City including the property that now exists between what isnow The Great House and the Caribbean Sea. This homemade site was eventually bought overby J. Glikstein and Son Ltd., whose head office was located on Stratford Road, London.Albert Glikstein, grandson of J. Glikstein and wife Marcelle lived in the house that stillexists next to The Great House, and frequently traveled back and forth from London.