Workers will vote against unions if they feel unions abuse their power by calling strikes or having fat-cat
leaders who selfishly promote their own interests at the expense of members' interests.
Managers who fail to treat workers with respect, or companies that view workers only as a cost
collective action by employees to remedy these conditions.
Women, immigrants, and other minority-group members, who are expected to continue entering the
workforce at a high rate, tend to favor unions.
Union membership is at an all time high today.
Economic and working conditions in unionized firms directly affect those in nonunionized firms, as
managers strive to provide competitive working conditions for their employees.
Even under union bargaining pressures, wages are now far more responsive to customer feedback at the
industry and firm levels than they traditionally have been.
Multiple unions may represent different groups of employees who work for the same employer.
The labor movement began with the Industrial Revolution of the 19
A free speech clause specifies that management has the right to express its opinion about unions to
employees provided it does not threaten or promise favors to employees to obtain anti-union actions.
10. During an organizing campaign, outside organizers may not solicit on premises if a company
has an existing policy of prohibiting all forms of solicitation and if that policy has been enforced
11. An organizing drive usually continues until the union obtains signed authorization cards from 75 percent
of the employees, at which point it can petition the NLRB for a representation election.
12. The group of employees eligible to vote in a representation election is called the bargaining unit.
13. Under the Taft-Hartley Act, professional employees are forced into a bargaining unit with
14. Management advantages during a campaign include that management can use company time and
premises to stress the positive aspects of the current situation.
15. If the NLRB finds that either party engaged in unfair labor practices during an election campaign, the
election results still stand but a thorough investigation is conducted and either side might be fined.
16. After a representation election is held, regardless of the outcome, no further elections can be held in that
bargaining unit for one year.
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.