This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: was questioned
due to the different colours of containers and the contents as well as the risk of
Explain the advantages and disadvantages of ultrasonic proximity sensors as
opposed to diffuse optical sensors for an application of this type. © Festo Didactic GmbH & Co. KG • FP 1110 117 118 © Festo Didactic GmbH & Co. KG • FP 1110 8. Pneumatic proximity sensors 8.1
General characteristics With pneumatic proximity sensors the presence or absence of an object is detected
by means of contactless sensing with air jets. When an object is present a signal
pressure change occurs, which can be further processed.
The advantages of these proximity sensors are:
• Operational safety in dusty environments
• Operational safety with high ambient temperatures
• Can be used in areas of explosion hazard
• Insensitive to magnetic influences and sound waves
• Reliable even in extreme ambient brightness and for sensing of light transparent
objects, where optical proximity sensors may not be suit...
View Full Document
- Spring '12