This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: not conducive to health
b. Wrong habits of thought; giving expression to negatives.
c. Wrong use of, and over indulgence in sex.
d. Lack of proper physical exercise
e. An inadequate supply of fresh air, due to improper breathing.
7. UNFAVORABLE ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES DURING CHILDHOOD.
“As the twig is bent, so shall the tree grow.” Most people who have criminal tendencies acquire them as the result of bad environment, and improper associates
8. PROCRASTINATION. This is one of the most common causes of failure. “Old
Man Procrastination” stands within the shadow of every human being, waiting
his opportunity to spoil one’s chances of success. Most of us go through life as
failures, because we are waiting for the “time to be right” to start doing something worthwhile. Do not wait. The time will never be “just right.” Start where you
stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better
tools will be found as you go along.
9. LACK OF PERSISTENCE. Most of us are good “starters” but poor “ﬁnishers” of
everything we begin. Moreover, people are prone to give up at the ﬁrst signs of defeat. There is no substitute for PERSISTENCE. The person who makes PERSISTENCE his watch-word, discovers that “Old Man Failure” ﬁnally becomes tired,
and makes his departure. Failure cannot cope with PERSISTENCE.
10. NEGATIVE PERSONALITY. There is no hope of success for the person who
repels people through a negative personality. Success comes through the application of POWER, and power is attained through the cooperative efforts of other
people. A negative personality will not induce cooperation.
11. LACK OF CONTROLLED SEXUAL URGE. Sex energy is the most powerful
of all the stimuli which move people into ACTION. Because it is the most power110 NAPOLEON HILL THINK AND GROW RICH ful of the emotions, it must be controlled, through transmutation, and converted
into other channels.
12. UNCONTROLLED DESIRE FOR “SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.” The gambling instinct drives millions of people to failure. Evidence of this may be found
in a study of the Wall Street crash of `29, during which millions of people tried to
make money by gambling on stock margins.
13. LACK OF A WELL DEFINED POWER OF DECISION. Men who succeed reach
decisions promptly, and change them, if at all, very slowly. Men who fail, reach
decisions, if at all, very slowly, and change them frequently, and quickly. Indecision and procrastination are twin brothers. Where one is found, the other may
usually be found also. Kill off this pair before they completely “hog-tie” you to the
treadmill of FAILURE.
14. ONE OR MORE OF THE SIX BASIC FEARS. These fears have been analyzed
for you in a later chapter. They must be mastered before you can market your
15. WRONG SELECTION OF A MATE IN MARRIAGE. This a most common
cause of failure. The relationship of marriage brings people intimately into contact. Unless this relationship is harmonious, failure is likely to follow. Moreover,
it will be a form of failure that is marked by misery and unhappiness, destroying
all signs of AMBITION.
16. OVER-CAUTION. The person who takes no chances, generally has to tak...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 11/13/2012 for the course ACCOUNTING 225 taught by Professor Austin during the Spring '12 term at American.
- Spring '12