Unformatted text preview: .
When I am in the car listening to music, I often check other stations to see if something better is playing, even if I’m satisfied with what I’m listening to.
I often find it difficult to shop for a gift for a friend
Renting videos is really difficult. I’m always struggling to pick the best one.
I’m a big fan of lists that attempt to rank things.
I find writing is very difficult. It’s so hard to get the words just right.
No matter what I do, I have the highest standards for myself. Maximizers…
• More regret after purchase
Less satisfaction from success
Less satisfied with life
More depressed Toxic Thoughts: Perfectionism
Toxic Thoughts: Perfectionism
• Parents who praise for being perfect rather than effort, hard work (Dweck)
• Priming the “ideal self” leads to dejection
• Perfectionism in young women (Hinshaw, The Triple Bind)
– Powerful, athletic
– Smart Keeping up with the Jonses
Keeping up with the Jonses
• Social Comparison (Festinger, 1954)
• Upward social comparisons lead to dissatisfaction, dejection
• Very happy people rarely compare themselves to others (Lyubomirsky) Toxic Thoughts: Distrust
Toxic Thoughts: Distrust
• Cynicism and the Decline of Trust (Paul 70
x ic A
a 0 y 10 o
s 20 N
o Trust i n fel l ow ci ti z ens Zak)
• High trust cultures less crime, inequality
• For every 15% rise in trust, a rise in $430 End of Sec tion 1
End of Sec tion 1 Culture of Fear (Glassner)
Culture of Fear (Glassner)
• Teen killers rather than teen health
• – Teen violence down 30% Catholic priest pedophiles
Road rage rather than teen drunk driving Markets and Materialism
Markets and Materialism
• Trade a basic human instinct (M. Ridley, •
• The Rational Optimist)
Trade a source of innovation
View Full Document
- Spring '12
- Psychology, Trigraph, Positive Emotion, Happiness Human Happiness