Unformatted text preview: ive affect cascades, playful teasing • Gratitude: Appreciation exercises boost happiness of couples
• Loving Kindness: interventions boost happiness of couples (Neff)
• Forgiveness: letting go of grudges calms stressrelated physiology; forgiveness interventions boost wellbeing • Disclosure: Suppressing emotion elevates stressrelated physiology of others • Idealization (Sandra Murray) Within Families: Principle of Within Families: Principle of Diversification (Sulloway, Born to Rebel)
• Sibling conflict omnipresent, often violent
• Birth order = power structure
– First borns: Extraverted, conscientious
Latter Borns: Agreeable, Open to Experience
Studies of 28 scientific revolutions: Latter borns more likely to accept revolutionary scientific ideas • Tesser: Highly successful parents less close to children who go into careers close to their own Friendship history
• When did you meet your best friend
What has friend given to you? Friendship
• Evolutionary theory: Reciprocal altruism (Trivers, 1971)
cooperation with nonkin
– Cooperate in childrearing, defense, resource gathering • Alliance formation as a counter to alpha females, males •
• (de Waal)
Sexual selection theory: peer networks of potential reproductive partners
Tend and befriend (Taylor, 2002)
– Friendship and the dopamine, oxytocin interplay (dePue) •
• Dopamine accompanies approach (e.g., smiling, disclosure)
Oxytocin rewards closeness
Taylor: Oxytocin counteracts stress Feeling social support
Feeling social support
• Table 1: Measure of Social Support (From Zimet, Dalhem, Zimet, & Farley, •
There is a special person who is around when I am in need.
There is a special person with whom I can share my joys and sorrows.
My family really tries to help me.
I get the emotional help and support I need from my family.
I have a special person who is a real source of comfort for me.
My friends really try to help me.
I can count on my friends when things go wrong.
I can talk about my problems with my family.
I have friends with whom I can share my joys and sorrows.
There is a special person in my life who cares about my feelings.
My family is willing to help me make decisions.
I can talk about my problems with my friends. An Ethic of modesty
An Ethic of modesty
Art of selfdeprecation
View Full Document
- Spring '12
- Psychology, Trigraph, Positive Emotion, Happiness Human Happiness