Unformatted text preview: .
• In 1880’s, he had become a lawyer.
• In 1890, Darrow became the general
attorney to the Chicago and North Western
• In 1906-7 Darrow successfully defended
William D. Haywood, leader of the
Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). • Darrow's most famous case was in 1925
when he defended John T. Scopes, a
teacher accused of teaching the evolutionary
origin of man, rather than the doctrine of
• The main opponent in the case was the
former presidential candidate, William
Jennings Bryan, who believed the literal
interpretation of the Bible.
• Although it is claimed that Darrow
outshone Bryan during the trial, Scopes was
found guilty. The Old Faithful (the geyser), late afternoon , at
Yellowstone National Park Pre-reading questions:
• How many legal terms do you know?
• How much do you know about the author?
• What do you think of the struggles
between fundamentalists and modernists?
What did that show?
• What do you think is the message of the
article? How many legal terms do you
• offence: commit an offence against a rule
commit a crime (of theft) / break the law
give /cause ~ to sb.
take ~ at sth.
a first ~
• accuse sb. of a crime
• charge sb. with murder and arson
• accusant, accuser, plaintiff, indictor
• 矛矛 accuse
• appeal to law;
enter (bring in) a lawsuit against sb 矛矛矛
lodge a complaint 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛
Institute proceedings, 矛矛矛矛
civil law: suits between individuals: insurance
claims, divorces, business malpractices
• criminal law: ranging from traffic tickets to
highjacking, murder, treason, arson
• sue for divorce 矛矛矛矛 crime
assault and battery
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 12/28/2012 for the course ENGLISH 201 taught by Professor Long during the Spring '12 term at Shanghai University.
- Spring '12