This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: parents died
in the recent Iraqi war.
• Our thoughts go out to our friends abroad.
• Our hearts go out to the heroic fighters in the
forefront of anti-imperialist struggle. jury
• The jury finds the prisoner guilty.
• The jury were divided in opinion.
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛 • The jury were (was) asked to consider their
verdict at noon the following day.
• (a jury anchor) oxymoron
• a victorious defeat
• sweet bitterness
• 矛矛矛矛 • cruel kindness
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛 • falsely true
• 矛矛矛矛 • a blessing in disguise
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛 oxymoron
• I despise its very vastness and power. It has
the poorest millionaires, the littlest great
men, the haughtiest beggars, the plainest
beauties, the the lowest skyscrapers, the
dolefulest pleasures of any town I ever saw.
• (O. Henry, The Duel) paradox
• Cowards die many times before their deaths;
• The valiant never taste of death but once…
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛…… paradox
• Yet, those who have eyes apparently see little.
The panorama of color and action which fills
the world is taken for granted.
• (Helen Keller, Three Days to See)
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛 in the wake of:
• close behind and in the same path of travel as
• The car left clouds of dust in its wake.
• Traders came in the wake of the conquering
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛 • as a result of; following as a consequence
• hunger and disease in the wake of war climate
• the general temper or opinions of a group of
people or period of history
• I wouldn't have liked the moral/political climate of
Britain before the 1st World War.
• In a climate of political unrest, a dictator can often
• 矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛矛 • investment climate
• 矛矛矛矛 • classroom climate Clarence Darrow
• Born in Kinsman, Ohio, on 18th April 1857
• Afraid of death , he crusaded against capital
punishment in all his life.
• He participated in town debates on the issues
of the day-- always argued the negative,
always won during his childhood • After an education at Allegheny College
and the University of Michigan Law
School, Darrow became a member of the
Ohio bar in 1878...
View Full Document
- Spring '12