This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: d me so that his hand rested on
my shoulder, the shoulder that was further
away from Darrow Para. Three
Erupt: to explode and pour out fire
(volcanoes, geysers( 矛矛矛 ), wars, emotions,
• Geysers and volcanoes erupt.
• He erupted angry words.
• Violence erupted in the city after the
football match. • • the case had come down upon me
unexpectedly and violently, I was
suddenly engulfed by the whole affair
The case had erupted round my head • build up
• develop/extend gradually, steadily; become
• The clouds are building up.
• tension builds up • The fundamentalists ... Old Testament:
• adhere to: believe in, follow devotedly
• literal interpretation: word for word
acceptance of what is said in the Bible
• Old Testament: that part of the Bible that
refers to events before the birth of Christ.
Note: All the words like the Bible, God
(Lord, He, Him) and Christ (Saviour) are
capitalized. Genesis 《《《 · 《《《《
• 1st day: Day & Night
2nd day:Firmament & Water
3rd day: Earth & Sea
4th day: Seasons, days & years
5th day: Living Creatures in Sea & Sky
6th day: Beasts, Man & Woman
7th day: Have a rest • The modernists … had evolved from a common
• advance: put forward; propose
• Charles Darwin: English naturalist, born on Feb.
12, 1809 at Shrewsbury, died on April 19, 1882;
published "On the Origin of Species by Means of
Natural Selection" in 1859.
• The theory of evolution asserts that all living
forms, plants and animals, including Man, have
developed from earlier and simpler forms by
processes of change and selection. • had evolved from a common ancestor: (all
life) had developed gradually from a
common original organism
• ancestor: a person, esp. one living a long
time ago, from whom another is
descended Para. Four
• the state legislature ... as taught in the Bible:
• state legislature: official body of people who
pass (determine, decide) laws. Each of the 50
states in the U.S. has a legislature. The nationa...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 12/28/2012 for the course ENGLISH 201 taught by Professor Long during the Spring '12 term at Shanghai University.
- Spring '12