This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: at active listening, probing
and understanding what people mean
• Must also be non-defensive/open minded!! 6
Research 17 Example: Sputnik 18 6
Research Surveys Great for:
• Sizing market segments
• Assessing discrete issues
• Monitoring changes over time, such as satisfaction
Can usually get statistical significance
Very low cost per customer touch 19 6
Research Surveys Challenges:
• Questions direct answers
• Questionaire must be very well constructed to avoid
• You can only find out what you ask; “You can’t
know what you don’t know.”
• Questions and data collected also shape the
analysis... 20 © 2008, Gary F. Gebhardt, Ph.D. 8
Research Survey Example 21 6
Research Internet Surveys/Research Much easier to conduct small, focused research
• No “piggybacking” as much as possible onto one
Fast response and ability to alter survey based on
• If you know something isn’t working, you can
change it for future responses - although not
Deployment is relatively cheap and data automatically
Research 22 Internet Surveys/Research Challenges:
Who are the people responding?
• It’s harder to ensure a representative sample
• Similar issues to focus groups: Psychographic bias
Managers are FAR too sloppy about construction
• Ease of implementation give false sense of how
easy it is to write good survey!
• GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out! 23 6
Research Conjoint Analysis 24 © 2008, Gary F. Gebhardt, Ph.D. 6
Research Conjoint Analysis 25 6
Research Online Brand Research
You have been recruited to take a survey that will help us provide
better value to our advertisers while at the same time maintaining
overall quality for readers like you.
By participating in this survey, conducted by respected third-party
researchers Dynamic Logic, you will help us maintain our
commitment to providing valuable content to the online
community. TrustE Member This survey is for RESEARCH PURPOSES ONLY -- we are not selling
anything , your personal information is secured and your answers BBBOnline Member will be grouped anonymously.
Click the "Yes, I'll take the Survey" button at right to begin -- you
will not be recruited for this survey again after that. If you opt not
to participate, click the "No Thanks, Take Me to My Destination"
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 01/06/2013 for the course MARKETING 1101 taught by Professor Na during the Spring '13 term at University of Central Florida.
- Spring '13