This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: n a melting point for your product.
3. Obtain an infrared spectrum of your product.
4. After obtaining your data, you will obtain the data from a student who used the other
alcohol and compare the results. Waste Disposal:
Products: Organic Waste bottle.
Filtrates from Synthesis and Recrystallization: Organic Waste bottle.
Sodium bicarbonate rinsings: Flush down the sink.
1. In the disubstitution reaction of 2-methyl-2-butanol or DL-3-methyl-2-butanol with
1,4-dimethoxybenzene, formation of the new carbon-carbon bonds could result in two
isomers around the benzene ring. What are the roles of o,m,p-directing effects and
steric effects that cause only one isomer to be formed in the reaction?
2. Did the two reactions result in different products?
3. Propose a reasonable mechanism to account for the formation of the product from
View Full Document