gdi-2011-politics-master-file-mercury

Scienceprogressorg201103house gop doubles down on

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: more than many would have thought possible under the extraordinary fiscal challenges we face."Holdren noted that federal dollars account for just 30 percent of all research-and-development funding in the United States; private companies and, to a much lesser extent, nonprofit groups, fund the other 70 percent. That is why Obama is seeking to permanently extend a tax credit for business-funded research and development, Holdren said. Wolf said he supports the permanent tax credit. The president's science initiatives also include establishing a $90 million education research agency, ARPA-ED, that is modeled on the Defense Department's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA); a doubling of the Department of Energy's "energy innovation" research facilities from three to six; and a boost of 20 percent, or $446 million, for cross-agency "global change" research focused on climate and the environment. Wolf said he believes climate-change research is important, but he noted "areas of overlap" across federal agencies particularly with NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - that his subcommittee is looking to cut. Holdren sought to head off criticism by touting cuts to "lower priority" research programs at the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Environmental Protection Agency and especially the Defense Department, which would receive $4 billion less for research in 2012 than it did in 2010. Predictably, scientific leaders lauded the extra funding that Obama's budget would send to national laboratories and universities. "We need to be competitive in a world that is changing rapidly," said Martin Apple, president of the Council of Scientific Society Presidents."The [president's] 2012 proposal does more to get us back in the game than does" the Republican proposal. Gonzaga Debate Institute 2011 150 Mercury Politics Environmental Programs – Unpopular – GOP (2/2) Republicans hate the plan – Undermines NASA’s true purpose and overlap SpaceRef 2-8-11 (“Reps Posey, Adams and Bishop Join Colleagues in Calling on House Leaders to Reprioritize NASA for Human Space Flight Missions, Drop Climate Change”, February 8, 2011, http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html? pid=32693, accessed June 21, 2011, EJONES) As House leaders examine ways to cut spending and address the ever growing budget deficits that have plagued Washington for years, U.S. Representatives Bill Posey (R-FL), Sandy Adams (R-FL) and Rob Bishop (R-UT) were joined by several other of their colleagues in calling for a reprioritization of NASA so human space flight remains the primary focus of the nation's space agency as budget cuts are considered. In their recent letter to House Appropriations Committee Chairman Harold Rogers (R-KY) and Commerce, Justice, and Science Subcommittee Chairman Frank Wolf (R-VA), Posey, Adams and Bishop state that while "moving forward under a constrained budget, it will be critical for...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 01/14/2013 for the course POL 090 taught by Professor Framer during the Spring '13 term at Shimer.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online