Unformatted text preview: s = Course of Dealing with forum General Personal Jurisdiction
“Continuous and Systematic” Contacts
* Substantial ongoing contacts,
approximating a physical presence
in forum Helicopteros v. Hall
Does Texas court have personal jurisdiction over
– “General” jjurisdiction case. Cause of action (wrongful
death) arose from events outside forum State of
Texas (negligent operation of helicopter in Peru).
– Buying a few helicopters in Texas and making related
trips does not constitute “continuous and systematic
contacts” with the State.
– Texas court does not have personal jurisdiction over
Helicopteros. World-Wide Volkswagen v.
Are the Audi retailer and wholesaler correct
(Oklahoma court does not have personal
jurisdiction over them)?
– “General” jjurisdiction case. Cause of action (product
liability) arose from events outside forum State of
Oklahoma (design defect in N.Y.).
– N.Y. retailer and wholesaler had no contacts, ties, or
relations with Oklahoma (fortuitous circumstance that
accident occurred there).
– Oklahoma court does not have personal jurisdiction
over retailer or wholesaler. Gerflor v. Consolidated
Does a Texas court have personal
jurisdiction over Gerflor?
– “General” jjurisdiction case. Cause of action
(breach of contract) presumably arose in
View Full Document
- Spring '11
- Supreme Court of the United States, Trial court