Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) The ancestors of land plants were probably ________ that lived in ________.
A) green algae similar to charophytes . . . the open ocean
B) green algae similar to charophytes . . . coastal marshes or lake fringes
C) cyanobacteria . . . moist soil crust communities
D) cyanobacteria . . . coastal marshes or lake fringes
2) Gas exchange in most land plants occurs through structures called
B) gas pores.
3) A growth
producing region of cell division, known as a(n) ________, is found near the tips of stems
C) apical meristem
4) In plants, the vascular tissue made of dead cells that transport water and minerals from the roots is
A) transport tissue.
5) In plants, the vascular tissue that consists of living cells that distribute sugars throughout the plant
C) transport tissue.
6) In all plants, the zygote and earliest stages of the developing embryo are
A) able to disperse in a tough
B) enclosed within a seed.
C) enclosed within a pollen grain.
D) attached to and nourished by the parent plant.
7) Mosses belong to the group of plants known as the
B) vascular plants.
8) Which of the following statements regarding ferns is
A) Ferns have well
developed vascular tissue, roots, and stems.
B) Ferns do not have lignified cell walls.
C) Ferns produce seeds.
D) Ferns produce pollen.
9) The majority of plant species today are
A) seedless vascular plants.
10) Which of the following characteristics tends to limit bryophytes and seedless vascular plants to
habitats that are relatively moist?
A) presence of lignified vascular tissues
B) absence of cuticle
C) presence of flagellated sperm
D) presence of free
living, independent zygotes and early embryos
11) Which of the following options correctly represents the most likely sequence of the evolution of
plants, from earliest to most recent?
A) bryophytes, gymnosperms, seedless vascular plants, angiosperms
B) bryophytes, seedless vascular plants, angiosperms, gymnosperms
C) bryophytes, seedless vascular plants, gymnosperms, angiosperms
D) seedless vascular plants, bryophytes, angiosperms, gymnosperms
12) The type of life cycle seen in plants is called
A) alternation of generations.
C) gametophyte production.
D) sporophytic regeneration.
13) Which of the following statements correctly describes the alternation of generations in a plant life
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.