Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) The tallest plant on Earth is
A) a 379
foot redwood tree in California.
B) a 740
foot white oak tree in Illinois.
C) a 500
foot kelp living off the coast of California.
D) a giant seed fern in southern Peru.
2) What event that occurred around 10,000 years ago led to genetic changes in many of the plants we
are most familiar with?
A) the invention of genetic engineering
B) the domestication of animals
C) the beginning of agriculture
D) the mass extinction of herbivores
3) Most angiosperms are dicots and most dicots are
4) Monocot floral parts usually occur in multiples of
5) Which of the following is a characteristic of eudicots?
A) parallel leaf venation
B) vascular bundles scattered throughout the stem
C) a taproot system
D) a flower with six petals
6) Which of the following statements is
A) Stems and leaves depend on the water and minerals absorbed by the roots.
B) The shoot system of a plant consists of the stems, leaves, and adaptations for reproduction.
C) Plant root hairs help to absorb carbon dioxide from the soil.
D) Roots depend upon sugars produced in photosynthetic organs such as leaves.
7) What is the node of a plant stem?
A) the point of apical dominance
B) the point of leaf attachment
C) a small pore where gases are exchanged
D) the area between the shoots and the roots
8) Removing the terminal bud of a plant that shows apical dominance will cause
A) increased growth of the terminal bud.
B) an increase in the growth of the root system.
C) increased growth of the axillary buds.
D) an immediate flowering of the plant.
9) The chief function of root hairs is to
A) decrease the anchoring power of roots.
B) provide a direct passageway from the soil to the vascular cylinder.
C) increase the surface area for absorption of water and minerals.
D) provide a home for symbiotic bacteria.
10) A plant stem modified for storage of food such as starch is called a
11) Which of the following statements is
A) White potatoes are modified plant roots.
B) A carrot is an example of a taproot.
C) The layers of an onion are actually modified leaves.
D) Stalks of celery are the petioles of the plant.
12) Which of the following plant cells or tissues help regulate the movement of carbon dioxide into and
out of a leaf?
A) guard cells
C) root hairs
D) sieve tubes
13) The cells that store starch in dicot roots are located between the
A) xylem and the phloem.
B) epidermis and the vascular cylinder.
C) epidermis and the root hairs.
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.