Venturesome Capital- State Charter School Finance Systems

108 appendix california basic elementary charter

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: ght. A local agency that is providing supervisory oversight and administrative costs necessary to secure charter school funding may charge 3 percent of total charter school revenue. 108 Appendix California Basic Elementary Charter School FTE $/Member California Total FTE enrollment Average daily attendance (ADA) Revenue limit per ADA a 1. Revenue limit per FTE 100 95 Middle Cost K-12 Charter School FTE $/Member 100 95 $ 4,031 100 $ 3,829 Urban At-Risk Upper Grade FTE $/Member 100 80 $ 4,031 100 $ 3,829 $ 4,031 100 $ 3,225 b 2. State categorical funds Lottery funds School improvement program Limited-English proficiency Desegregation State instructional materials Class size reduction Special education Transportation Mega item growth & COLA Gifted and talented Economic impact aid Mentor teacher State compensatory education 3. Federal funding Title I Special education Bilingual and immigrant Other federal programs Total revenue 0 0 0 $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ 105 93 31 150 41 12 7 6 16 - $ $ $ $ 52 $ 4,342 25 10 20 $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ 105 93 180 31 150 222 41 12 7 80 16 40 $ $ $ $ 134 38 14 52 $ 5,044 50 20 40 $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ 105 93 360 680 31 150 444 41 12 7 190 16 80 $ $ $ $ 268 76 28 52 $ 5,858 ASSUMPTIONS : Basic elementary charter school enrolls students with no special needs. Middle cost charter school has students with special needs reflecting the state average. At-risk upper grade charter school is in an urban area with twice the concentration of special needs students as the state average. a Funding in California is based on average daily attendance rather than membership. Basic elementary and middle cost charter schools are assumed to have a 95 percent attendance rate, while the upper grade urban at-risk school is assumed to have an 80 percent attendance rate. b Categorical aid estimates are based upon 1996-97 per pupil revenues adjusted for inflation. Charter schools are eligible for all 60 categorical programs if they document their eligibility. The categorical chosen above represent the programs for which most charter schools could receive funding Appendix 109 Venturesome Capital: State Charter School Finance Systems Colorado Base Funding: A charter school’s base budget in 1997-98 was at least 80 percent of the school district’s per-pupil operating revenue. The remaining 20 percent or more is negotiated over such issues as the purchasing of services from the school district or the receipt of in-kind services from the district. The average charter school receives approximately 95 percent of per-pupil operating revenue, and some receive up to 120 percent. The base amount of funding for each pupil was $3,667 in budget year 1997-98, but adjustments for several school district characteristics add considerably more funding. A few districts have additional local option taxes that are sometimes shared with charter schools. In 1998-99, “override revenue” averaged $224 per pupil in school districts where charter schools are located, although half of the charter schools are in districts with no override revenue. Funding Based on School District Characteristics: Several adjustments are made to the school district base funding level including: Cost-of-Livi...
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online