This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Solid foods are ____ filling than semisolid
foods or liquids 3 1/4/12 Why Do We Want to Eat?
• Foods stimulate our senses:
– Texture (mouth feel)
– Hearing • Social and cultural cues
• Learned experiences What Stimulate Our Appetite 4 1/4/12 What Happens to the Food
We Eat digestion
elimination Hormones Assist in Digestion
• Hormones are released into the
bloodstream to specific target cells that
contain the receptor protein for that
• Second messenger system: Hormones
bind to the receptor on the cell
membrane for activation 5 1/4/12 Hormone Action
First messenger: hormone
Receptor protein membrane
Hormonal action The Endocrine System
• Reader page 8, 9, 10
·A system of control in the body
·Communities via chemical messengers called hormones
·Consists of many glands
·Hormones act on tar...
View Full Document