1. Intro to Petrology

1. Intro to Petrology - Igneous& Metamorphic Petrology...

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology Damian Nance and Keith Millam http://www.whitman.edu/geology/winter/ The Earth's Interior Major Subdivisions: Crust Oceanic crust Continental crust Mantle Upper mantle Transition zone Lower mantle Core Inner core Outer core Major subdivisions of the Earth The Earth's Interior Crust: Oceanic crust Thin: 10 km Relatively uniform stratigraphy = ophiolite suite: 3 3 3 3 3 sediments pillow basalt sheeted dikes more massive gabbro ultramafic (mantle) Continental crust Thicker: 20-90 km average ~35 km Highly variable composition 3 average ~ granodiorite The Earth's Interior Mantle: Peridotite (ultramafic) Upper to 410 km (olivine spinel) x Low Velocity Layer 60-220 km Transition Zone as velocity increases ~ rapidly x 660 km spinel perovskite-type Si Si Lower Mantle has more gradual velocity increase The Earth's Interior Core: Fe-Ni metallic alloy Outer Core is liquid x No S-waves Inner Core is solid Compositional subdivisions Variation in P and S wave velocities with depth Rheological subdivisions Relative atomic abundances of the seven most common elements that comprise 97% of the Earth's mass The Pressure Gradient q q P increases = gh Nearly linear through mantle x x ~ 30 Mpa/km (1 Kbar 3 Km) 1 GPa (10 Kbar) at base of average crust q Core: increases more rapidly since alloy more dense Pressure variation with depth Heat Sources in the Earth 1. Heat from the early accretion and differentiation of the Earth x still slowly reaching surface Heat Sources in the Earth 1. Heat from the early accretion and differentiation of the Earth x still slowly reaching surface 2. Heat released by the radioactive breakdown of unstable nuclides Heat Transfer 1. Radiation 2. Conduction 3. Convection The Geothermal Gradient q q q q Increase of temperature with depth More rapid in oceanic lithosphere (blue curves) Less rapid in continental shield (purple curves) Most rapid near surface Thickness of mature (> 100Ma) oceanic lithosphere is hatched. Thickness of continental shield lithosphere is cream colored Estimates of oceanic (blue curves) and continental shield (red curves) geotherms to a depth of 300 km The Geothermal Gradient Pattern of global heat flux variations at Earth's surface Cross-section of the mantle based on a seismic tomography model Arrows represent plate motions and large-scale mantle flow and subduction zones represented by dipping line segments. EPR =- East pacific Rise, MAR = MidAtlantic Ridge, CBR = Carlsberg Ridge. Plates: EA = Eurasian, IN = Indian, PA = Pacific, NA = North American, SA = South American, AF = African, CO = Cocos Mantle Convection Earth is likely a single layer convection system with plates forming the upper thermal boundary layer and core-mantle boundary forming the lower one. In the modern world plate convection is responsible of 90% of heat loss from mantle, while plume mode covers the remaining 10%. But proportions could have changed through Earth history. Cartoon linking seafloor spreading to circulation above 670 km boundary and hotspot formation to thermal instabilities in D layer, with subduction perhaps linking the two regions (possibly in the form of intermittent avalanching) Plate Tectonics Igneous and Metamorphic Petrogenesis 1. Mid-ocean ridges 2. Intracontinental rifts 3. Island arcs 4. Active continental margins 5. Back-arc basins 6. Oceanic hotspots 7. Continental hotspots ...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

Ask a homework question - tutors are online