Unit 1 Notes + Questions
PSYC 323 – Developmental
// Learning Objectives
identify the basic aspects of biological, cognitive, and socioemotional development;
explain the relevant aspects that characterize the periods of development: prenatal,
infancy, early childhood, middle and late childhood;
discuss the major issues in the nature of development: nature and nurture, continuity
and discontinuity, early and later experience;
state the basic concepts of child development theories and theorists;
identify the importance and challenges of scientific research methods in child
development; and describe the scientific method, including methods, types of designs,
Reflect + Review
• What is scientific research, what is it based on, and why is scientific research on child
• What are the main theories of child development?
• What are the main research methods for collecting data about children’s development?
• What types of research designs do child development researchers use?
• What are some research challenges in studying children’s development?