This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: he colonization of other coastal sage scrub species
• Two distinct architectual genotypes
– Prostrate 21 Crutsinger et al. 2010, Ecology 91:1237–1243 22 - less light and thus darker soils + habitats underneath (top right) and cooler temp
- genetically different conditions of growth
- what effect does it have on other species and other plant species? …which in turn affect:
Biomass, % cover, species richness of other colonizers Can genetic variation affect otherspecies colonization? • Chain of causation:
– Genotypes differ in their architecture
– Different architecture alters light, litter layer, temperature, etc.
– Differences in light, litter layer, and temperature affect diversity, abundance, and biomass of colonizing species
23 24 tl;dr : different genotypes have predictable effects on biomass,
cover, and richness of species growing underneath them 4 19/03/2013 1 final example:
• Add N, P, K, Mg Rothamsted Research Station, U.K....
View Full Document