Unformatted text preview: bance
(algal bloom) Monoculture
(clipping) Experimental disturbance
Hughes and Stachowicz, 2011, Journal of Ecology 99: 445‐453 13 14
Hughes and Stachowicz, 2011, Journal of Ecology 99: 445‐453 Polycultures are more resilient to natural disturbance What is the mechanism?
• Diverse, polycultures are more likely to have tolerant genotypes that can regrow quickly
– (sampling effect) • Over‐performance of polycultures also indicate some interaction between genotypes
– Likely because of different resource uptake strategies of the genotypes
– More resource strategies more micro-niches less competition
15 16 Hughes and Stachowicz, 2011, Journal of Ecology 99: 445‐453 polycultures have more shoots that survive the natural disturbance
- suggest that polycultures respond better and faster
- recover faster, retain more shoots through disturbance
- are these results similar to T...
View Full Document