This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: that are more genetically diverse able to support more insects? Question: Do these effects hold for GENETIC Diversity? • Approach: Grow groups of
either monocultures or polycultures of plants • Monoculture: only 1 genotype present.
– Repeated for 8 separate genotypes. • Polyculture: Mixtures of
either 4 genotypes or 8 genotypes
5 • Measure:
– Number (& id) of herbivores
– Number (& id) of omnivores
– Number (& id) of predators • Tests:
– Do more diverse plots contain greater richness or diversity of species?
– Mechanism: Is this due to sampling, or interactions among gentoypes?
6 8 replicates: remove skewing of results from one advantageous genotype
- could be pure sampling effect ; more genotypes = more / less attractive
- could be interactions between genotypes ; mutualistic vs. antagonistic 1 19/03/2013 Experiment performed at UofT’s Koffler Scientific Reserve
(Newmarket) more genet...
View Full Document