This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ronmental Geology
Applying geologic knowledge in environmental
Goals of environmental geology:
1) decrease environmental threats to humans
(e.g. earthquake prediction).
2) aid in minimizing adverse effects on
ecosystems (e.g. floodplain control).
3) provide a scientific foundation for decision
makers (beach development). Case Studies
Important tool which describes and analyzes
past environmental events.
Might help in evaluation of similar hazards and
designs. Aral Sea
Was 4th largest
lake in world.
Shrinking for >35
former shoreline. 1989 2003 Aral Sea Aral Sea
Loss of lake caused
local climate change:
Drier, hotter summers
Colder, longer winters
Frequent dust storms
dumping salt and dust on
poisoning soil and killing
Loss of fishing and tourism
industry. ©Lee Murray Aral Sea – Improving!
Canals drain waterlogged fields into sea. How People and Earth Interact
Some Important Factors to Consider:
The Technology Factor
Earth’s Impact on People Figure 1-5 More than half
the inhabitants of Earth now
live in cities. Green Metropolis
David Owen (2009)
“Why living smaller, living closer, and driving
less are the keys to sustainability.”
1) “Cities” are greener than suburbs because larger
percentage of population walk, bike, uses mass
2) Share infrastructure.
3) Live in smaller spaces with smaller energy demands
(e.g. appliances) for heating and cooling.
4) No sprawl; less commuting. Alternative: Make driving expensive! Greater population needs:
1) more resources
soils, water, energy
- e.g. 1-2 billion people malnourished
2) creates additional waste Human Environmental Impact
Depends on how much
of Earth’s resources
Depends on generated
waste quantity in the
process of resource
Figure 1-2b Earth Affects People;
People Change Earth People
influence Earth such as by damming
rivers to control floods and g...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/02/2013 for the course 460 202 taught by Professor Sugarplum during the Fall '13 term at Rutgers.
- Fall '13