This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: pitates into the proper waste container.
2. Wear gloves when using ethylenediamine, 30% & 10% hydrogen peroxide, and 12 M
hydrochloric acid; these three chemicals can cause severe burns.
3. Never attempt to smell any solution, as the odors can be irritating in high
4. Avoid standing between your product and the fumehood as a solution is heating.
5. Wear your goggles!
You will work in pairs on this experiment. The actual data analyses and the written reports
must be done entirely independently of your lab partner or other students. Make sure that you
avoid unauthorized collaboration and plagiarism. All suspected violations of the Code of
Academic Conduct will be referred to Student Judicial Affairs.
Synthesis of trans-[Co(en)2Cl2]Cl
1. You will need the following chemicals for this synthesis:
a) CoCl2 . 6H2O(s)
b) 3 M ethylenediamine (en)
c) 10 % H2O2
d) 12 M HCl (in the fumehood)
2. Prepare a hot water bath by placing about 125-175 mL of deionized water in a...
View Full Document
- Spring '07