This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: uses for a wider market
system with nonagricultural populations.
• a mixed subsistence strategy - several crops
• May involve hunting, fishing, or raising domesticated
animals Swidden Cultivation (slash and burn)
Swidden • Common in horticultural societies
• A form of cultivation in which a field is cleared by felling the
trees and burning the brush
• Production of plants using plows, animals and soil
and water control.
• Associated with:
– Sedentary villages, the rise of cities
Social stratification • Peasants: Food-producing populations that are
incorporated politically, economically, and culturally
into nation-states (early modern Europe,
contemporary Transitions to Industrial
of the production (of food and
other Transitions to Industrial
View Full Document
- Spring '07