In America roughly 16

In America roughly 16 - Amundson 1 Jessica Amundson Nina...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Amundson 1 Jessica Amundson Nina Alton WRIT 1301-013 6 March 2008 Values in My Super Sweet 16 In America roughly 16% of Americans are either located in the upper middle class or upper class , thus making anywhere from $100 , 000 to 500 , 000+ per year according to William Thompson and Joseph Hickley’s 2005 class statistics . The other 84% consist of America’s lower middle class , working class , and the underclass . Thus , it would most certainly be said that the majority of Americans are in the middle class and/or lower . Despite these sociological facts , our media , being nearly driven by celebrities , fame , and fortune , tends to keeps its primary focus on just that , the upper class . In the beginning of 2005 , MTV launched its hit series My Super Sweet 16 , in which viewers are brought into the life of rich teenagers , who spend $100 , 000 to $200 , 000 of their parent’s money on their extravagant , celebrity-fit sixteenth birthday parties . By examining the show itself , viewers are brought into a small percentile of America , thus a viewer who were to solely watch My Super Sweet 16 , would only get a glimpse of America . This relates to the fact that this reality TV show can hardly represent the real America , but on the contrary may be beginning to shine light on American values . In a more recent episode of My Super Sweet 16 , viewers are introduced to Alex , a soon to be 16 year old whose parents spend more money on her one night birthday bash
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Amundson 2 than the average American’s yearly income . With a pre-party at one of her parents bars , a VIP audition , an extravagant party themed seven deadliest sins ,” and to top it off a brand new BMW , this 16 year old had beyond that of a sweet 16 , but more of a day in the life of the media’s top-notch celebrities .
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern