Unformatted text preview: chief
executive, there has been debate over whether the combination
was the right course for the venerable high-tech company.
The merger was pitched to shareholders in 2001 as a move that
would create a company rivaling IBM Corp. in revenue while
employing half the work force. But HP is still struggling
against competitors such as Dell Inc. and IBM, and Fiorina's
departure Wednesday lent ammunition to those who contend
that tech mergers seldom live up to their promise.
"It's very rare that they work," said Paul Saffo, director of the Institute for
the Future, a Silicon Valley think tank. Fiorina timeline at HP
Monday, Feb 21, 2005 , Kansas City Star
July 19, 1999
• Carly Fiorina, a former high-ranking executive at Lucent Technologies, named as
president and chief executive of HP.
• Fiorina appointed chairman of HP.
• HP announces its first major layoffs, laying off 6,000 employees amid sharply
• HP surprises Wall Street with plans to buy...
View Full Document
- Spring '12
- Firm, Achieving Acquisition Success