This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Cialdini: Influence
Social Proof (elevator) ◦ Pluralistic ignorance Bystander effect Works under uncertainty
Seek similarity Cialdini: Influence
Liking ◦ Association principle: the more we like someone the more willing we are to buy/engage in something from them
Commitment and consistency ◦ We choose to be consistent
◦ Foot in the door: ask something small, then ask something bigger Cialdini: Influence
Scarcity ◦ Joy is in possession not consumption
◦ Newly scarce items vs. always scarce pepsi ◦ Does censorship work? Information processing
The process of receiving information and generating an output or action Depends on information complexity and cognitive availability People vary on their cognitive ability
Info processing is much like computer ◦ Consumer must receive input
◦ Encode the information to be placed in memory
◦ Storage of information in memory
◦ Retrieval of stored information Encoding information
How much information gets encoded? ◦ Stroop test: idea that there is a bottleneck in information that we receive. ◦ only limited info gets to our short term memory through the bottleneck.
◦ *Cocktail party phenomenon: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Attention ◦ Resource allocation Encoding information
Increased retention when associated with attributes already in our brain Types of meaning ◦ Sensory meaningassign meaning to shape or color: activated by picture
◦ Semantic meaningsymbolic associations
Personal Relevance ◦ Increases memory of products or events
◦ Flashbulb memories (your 16th birthday) Storage of information Three types of memory systems ◦ Sensory Memory: temporary storage of things from our senses, e.g. Cinnabon ◦ Shortterm memory: stores for limited period of time
◦ Longterm memory: information stored for lengthy periods More effort it takes...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/28/2013 for the course MKTG 360 taught by Professor Joireman during the Fall '08 term at Washington State University .
- Fall '08