This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: arrhea and vomiting
» Leading to fluid loss Symptoms likely due to
– Increased beta adrenergic receptors and catecholamines
Thyrotoxic Crisis (Thyroid Storm) Treatment rationale
2. Drugs to prevent TH synthesis
– propylthiouracil Dysfunction Endocrine Pancreas
Diabetes Mellitus Normal Insulin Function
Normal Lowers blood glucose levels (after
1. Enhances transport of glucose into
2. Inhibits breakdown of glycogen to
3. Inhibits breakdown of amino acids
and fats to glucose
4. Uptake of amino acids and protein
synthesis Dysfunction Endocrine Pancreas
Diabetes Mellitus Defined..
– Chronic hyperglycemia w/ altered carbohydrate, fat
and protein metabolism
and Dysfunction Endocrine Pancreas
Diabetes Mellitus Different types of diabetes mellitus
– Type I
» – Type II
» Dysfunction Endocrine Pancreas
Diabetes Mellitus Diagnosis
1. More than one fasting gluc...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 05/02/2013 for the course BIO 205 taught by Professor Dr.cady during the Spring '11 term at Bradley.
- Spring '11