Unformatted text preview: 1996).
17. J. B. Walsh, Genetics 139, 421 (1995).
18. M. Kreitman, J. M. Comeron, Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 9,
19. B. Y. Liao, J. Zhang, Trends Genet. 23, 378 (2007).
20. T. Makino, K. Hokamp, A. McLysaght, Trends Genet. 25,
21. Z. Su, X. Gu, J. Mol. Evol. 67, 705 (2008).
22. H. Liang, W. H. Li, Trends Genet. 23, 375 (2007).
23. Z. Gauhar et al., Personal communication to FlyBase,
FBrf0205914: Drosophila melanogaster life-cycle gene
expression dataset and microarray normalisation protocols
24. J. A. Williams, S. W. Paddock, S. B. Carroll, Development
117, 571 (1993).
25. C. D. Jones, D. J. Begun, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.
102, 11373 (2005).
26. B. Loppin, D. Lepetit, S. Dorus, P. Couble, T. L. Karr,
Curr. Biol. 15, 87 (2005).
27. L. Giot et al., Science 302, 1727 (2003).
28. S. Griffiths-Jones, Methods Mol. Biol. 342, 129 (2006).
29. M. Lynch, M. O’Hely, B. Walsh, A. Force, Genetics 159,
30. We thank C. H. Langley and D. Begun for providing
polymorphism data; W. Du, J. Gavin-Smyth, Q. Guo,
and M. Guffey for technical assistance and discussion;
J. Coyne, M. Kreitman, and X. Ni for critically reading
and/or revising the manuscript; and the members of the
Manyuan Long laboratory, C. Ferguson, R. Hudson,
C. I. Wu, and T. Nagylaki, for valuable discussion.
S.C. was supported by University of Chicago Biological
Sciences Division Fellowships. This research was supported
by National Institutes of Health (R01GM065429-01A1 and
R01GM078070-01A1) and National Science Foundation
(CAREER Award MCB 0238168) to M.L. Y.E.Z. was also
supported by the Searle Funds from Chicago Biomedical
Consortium (2009, Spark). in all germ cells except mature sperm, and they
segregate asymmetrically with the germline pre- www.sciencemag.org SCIENCE VOL 330 P granules PIE-1 is in the
cytoplasm of P1 and
later germ cell
Downloaded from www.sciencemag.org on March 7, 2011 We finally investigated the viability phenotype of the parental genes with available RNAi
lines (table S10) and retrieved the phenotypic
information of several additional genes from previous studies (10...
View Full Document
- Spring '12