Unformatted text preview: 4f 5s 5p 5d 5f 5g? 6s 6p 6d 6f 6g? 6h? 7s 7p 7d 7f 7g? 7h? By this point, we are past
the current periodic table
so we can stop.
so 7i? 38 Why are d and f orbitals always
in lower energy levels?
• d and f orbitals require LARGE
amounts of energy
• It’s better (lower in energy) to skip a
sublevel that requires a large amount
of energy (d and f orbtials) for one in a
higher level but lower energy
This is the reason for the diagonal rule!
BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE ARROWS
IN ORDER! How many electrons can be in a sublevel? 39 Remember: A maximum of two electrons can
be placed in an orbital.
s orbitals p orbitals d orbitals f orbitals
orbitals Number of
electrons Electron Configurations 40 A list of all the electrons in an atom (or ion)
• Must go in order (Aufbau principle)
• 2 electrons per orbital, maximum
• We need electron configurations so that we
can determine the number of electrons in the
outermost energy level. These are called
• The number of valence electrons determines
how many and what this atom (or ion) can
bond to in order to make a mole...
View Full Document