You've reached the end of your free preview.
Want to read all 16 pages?
Unformatted text preview: Human Resource Management 380-101
1) The basic functions of the management process include all of the following EXCEPT
2) Which of the following is the person responsible for accomplishing an organization's goals by
planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling personnel?
3) Which of the following includes five basic functions--planning, organizing, staffing, leading,
A) job analysis
B) strategic management
C) management process
D) adaptability screening
4) Which function of the management process requires a manager to establish goals and
standards and to develop rules and procedures?
5) Celeste spends most of her time at work establishing goals for her staff of fifty employees and
developing procedures for various tasks. In which function of the management process does
Celeste spend most of her time?
6) Jolene, a manager, delegates the responsibility for a project to Lee, her subordinate. Jolene is
most likely involved in which function of the management process? A) staffing
7) When managers use metrics to assess performance and then develop strategies for corrective
action, they are performing the ________ function of the management process.
8) Which function of the management process includes selecting employees, setting performance
standards, and compensating employees?
9) Which Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that "no person shall be deprived of life,
liberty, or property, without due process of the law"?
A) First Amendment
B) Fifth Amendment
C) Tenth Amendment
D) Thirteenth Amendment
10) The ________ Amendment to the U.S. Constitution outlawed slavery, and courts have held
that it bars racial discrimination.
11) The 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution addresses the subject of ________.
A) due process
C) private property
D) trial by jury
12) The ________ gives all persons the same right to make and enforce contracts and to benefit
from the laws of the land.
A) Fifth Amendment
B) Civil Rights Act of 1866
C) Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act
D) Thirteenth Amendment 13) Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act explicitly prohibits employers from discrimination
based on all of the following characteristics EXCEPT ________.
D) sexual orientation
14) According to Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which of the following employers would
be legally allowed to refuse employment to an individual based on race, religion, or sex?
A) a state agency with 65 employees
B) a medical office with 25 employees
C) a local restaurant with 10 employees
D) a department store with 100 employees
15) Which legislation was responsible for the creation of the Equal Employment Opportunity
A) Equal Pay Act of 1963
B) Civil Rights Act of 1866
C) Executive Orders 11246 and 11375
D) Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act
16) The EEOC was initially established to investigate complaints about ________.
A) job discrimination
B) unfair business practices
C) sexual harassment in schools
D) structural accommodations for disabled people
17) Strategic planning primarily benefits a firm's managers by ________.
A) creating a hierarchy of decision-makers
B) establishing goals to be accomplished
C) allowing employees to provide input
D) clarifying the supply chain network
18) Since most well-run firms utilize a hierarchy of goals to guide major decisions, ________ is
especially important to managers at every level to prevent departments from working at crosspurposes.
A) strategic planning
B) financial auditing
C) employee testing
D) employee benchmarking
19) What is the first step in the basic planning process?
A) evaluating the possible alternatives
B) implementing a course of action
C) setting an objective
D) comparing options 20) Which of the following is the most significant difference between managerial planning and
the basic planning process?
A) evaluation of alternative methods
B) establishment of clear objectives
C) assessment of long-term goals
D) interference from corporate hierarchies
21) Which term indicates the course of action for getting from where you are to where you want
22) A(n) ________ is a firm's method for matching its internal strengths and weaknesses with
external opportunities and threats to maintain a competitive advantage.
A) strategic plan
B) situation analysis
C) SWOT analysis
D) tactical plan
23) A course of action that a firm can pursue to achieve its strategic aims is known as a
24) Strategic management is best defined as the process of executing the firm's strategic plan by
matching the firm's capabilities with its ________.
A) environmental demands
B) competitive standards
C) natural resources
D) hierarchical skills
25) Which term refers to the integrated process of recruiting, developing, supervising, and
A) job analysis
B) HR alignment
C) strategic planning
D) talent management
26) Connor, a manager at boat manufacturing firm, takes a talent management approach to his
duties. Which of the following would Connor most likely do?
A) coordinate recruitment and compensation activities B) use different competencies for recruitment and development
C) rely primarily on applicant testing results for hiring decisions
D) manage employees based on their experience with the organization
27) Which of the following terms refers to the procedure used to determine the duties associated
with job positions and the characteristics of the people to hire for those positions?
A) job description
B) job specification
C) job analysis
D) job context
28) The information resulting from a job analysis is used for writing ________.
A) job descriptions
B) corporate objectives
C) personnel questionnaires
D) training requirements
29) All of the following types of information will most likely be collected by a human resources
specialist through a job analysis EXCEPT ________.
A) work activities
B) human behaviors
C) performance standards
D) employee benefits options
30) A manager uses the information in a job analysis for all of the following EXCEPT ________.
A) assessing training requirements
B) complying with FCC regulations
C) determining appropriate compensation
D) providing accurate performance appraisals
31) Which of the following most likely depends on a job's required skills, education level, safety
hazards, and degree of responsibility?
A) employee compensation
B) organizational culture
C) annual training requirements
D) OSHA and EEO compliance
32) In order for Hollis Construction to be in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities
Act, the manager needs a ________ for each position to validate all human resource activities.
A) performance appraisal
B) compensation schedule
C) workflow system
D) job analysis
33) What is the first step in the recruitment and selection process?
A) performing initial screening interviews B) building a pool of candidates
C) performing candidate background checks
D) deciding what positions to fill
34) Which of the following terms refers to the background investigations, tests, and physical
exams that firms use to identify viable candidates for a job?
A) selection tools
B) job analysis methods
C) personnel techniques
D) forecasting tools
35) ________ is the process of deciding what positions the firm will have to fill and how to fill
C) Job analysis
D) Personnel planning
36) Marcus, an HR manager for Samsung, must decide what positions the firm should fill in the
next six months., which means Marcus is currently working on ________.
A) screening job candidates
B) personnel planning
C) interviewing job candidates
D) writing job descriptions
37) The process of deciding how to fill executive positions at a firm is known as ________.
A) internal recruiting
B) succession planning
C) long-term forecasting
D) advanced interviewing
38) A firm's ________ should guide employment planning and determine the types of skills and
competencies the firm needs.
A) job analysis
B) organization chart
C) marketing plan
D) strategic plan
39) Employment planning requires making forecasts of three elements: the supply of inside
candidates, the likely supply of outside candidates, and ________.
A) personnel needs
B) job specifications
C) global trends
D) labor relations 40) Which of the following terms refers to studying a firm's past employment needs over a
period of years to predict future needs?
A) ratio analysis
B) trend analysis
C) graphical analysis
D) computer analysis
41) Which of the following terms refers to hiring workers who have criminal backgrounds
without proper safeguards?
A) employment malpractice
B) negligent hiring
C) improper hiring
D) invalid screening
42) A reliable employment test will most likely yield ________.
A) consistent scores when a person takes two alternate forms of the test
B) improved scores when a person takes the same test more than once in a single day
C) high scores when a person takes two alternate forms of the test on different occasions
D) similar scores when two different people are administered the test at different times
43) If a person scores a 70 on an intelligence test on one day and scores 110 when retested on
another day, you would most likely conclude that this test is ________.
44) If a person scores a 78 on a test on one day and scores a 79 when retested on another day,
you would most likely conclude that this test is ________.
45) Which of the following terms refers to the consistency of scores obtained by the same person
when retested with alternate forms of the same test?
46) Which of the following best describes how to use a retest estimate to assess reliability?
A) administer a test with content based on what a person actually needs to know to effectively
perform the job in question B) administer the same test to different people at two different points in time and compare their
test scores at time 2 with the scores at time 1
C) administer different tests to a group of people and compare the range of collected test scores
D) administer the same test to the same people at two different points in time and compare their
test scores at time 2 with their scores at time 1
47) Which of the following measures reliability by administering two different yet comparable
tests and then comparing the two test scores?
A) retest estimate
B) equivalent form estimate
C) internal comparison estimate
D) criterion validity measurement
48) Which of the following is the most commonly used selection tool?
A) telephone reference
B) reference letter
D) personality test
49) Which of the following refers to a procedure designed to obtain information from a person
through oral responses to oral inquiries?
A) work sample simulation
C) reference check
50) When an interview is used to predict future job performance on the basis of an applicant's
oral responses to oral inquiries, it is called a(n) ________ interview.
51) According to the text, selection interviews are classified by all of the following factors
52) What is an underlying goal of Whirlpool's ECE program?
A) giving job candidates a positive impression of the firm
B) selecting a diverse group of job candidates for the firm
C) clarifying the corporate culture for job candidates
D) ensuring selection validity among job candidates
53) Which of the following is another term for an unstructured interview? A) directive
54) Which of the following is an advantage of using a nondirective format when interviewing job
A) allows candidate...
View Full Document