Though the Anglo-Saxon epic,
, stands at the beginning of English literature,
the hero is Scandinavian and represents the spirit of the ___.
The scene of
is the region around the Baltic Sea.
What is the conjectured
time of the plot?
What is the conjectured date of composition in the oral tradition?
Not earlier than 8
4. What is the conjectured date of preservation in manuscript?
unknown, sometime between the 8th and 11th century
5. In Kevin Crossley-Holland’s version of
, ___ is the stranger who tells the
story of heroes, of monsters, and of Denmark?
Gangleri in your tongue Wanderer
6. What is the real identity of this one-eyed stranger?
7. ___ was King of the Geats (Sweden).
Beowulf was the Geatish king’s __.
9. ___ was the King of Denmark.
10. ___ was the King of Denmark’s wife and queen.