The Progressive Era

The Progressive Era - The Progressive Era An Urbanizing...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
The Progressive Era An Urbanizing America- progressive reformers are reacting to change in what it means to be a part of the US, they want to have a say in what the US is going to look like, they want a harmonious society, time when liberalism gets its modern day meaning, differentiate between social liberals and corporate liberals, focusing on 2 big themes that contribute to the rise of the progressive movement 1) urbanization and 2) immigration o Immigrations and Migrations- in Southwest increased Mexican immigration, people escaping fighting plus better jobs in the US, 2 out of every 3 immigrants lived in a city, a lot of these people can’t afford to buy land and are excluded from land-giving acts, in addition we have internal migrations, a move from farms to city, abandoning family farms, the biggest group of internal migrants are African Americans, about a million African American migrants move from 1900-1930 from the south to the north, by 1900, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York, all have over a million residents, the majority of cities that we are familiar with today were created at the turn of the century, about 85 of the largest cities today, corporate tycoons live further from cities because they have the means to travel, the outer circle are the elites, the suburbs are the middle-class people which are managers, doctors, lawyers, middle-class and elite constitute about 10% of the populations, the other 90%, poorer live in the city, work in factories and plants, where everyone tends to accumulate, the poorer have to walk so they live in the city closer to work, severe overcrowding is developing, some by design, isn’t enough space for everyone who is coming, along the outskirts are developing shanty towns, slums or ghettos on the outside of town, people attach a new structure to an already pre-existing structure, then people will add on to yours, cost-saving mechanism, people will charge for people to their wall, very poor quality construction, no firm hard business building codes, no way to set how people should build, a lot of problems in cities because of how many people and how they are constructing, problems are fire, the Great Chicago Fire, burns down almost all of Chicago, one response is the development of professional fire departments, investing in new technologies, ladder trucks, huge reform, another issue with these modern urban cities is crime, so the formation of professional police departments, paid police officers, big reform before progressive era, a lot of politicians said that we need places where people can go and relax, green places, beautify our cities, foundation of city parks, Frederick Olmsted, created parks, said Central Park was the lungs of the city, early progressive efforts don’t do enough to help the people on the ground because the problems are so big, people say that developing these things actually just tends to hide the other problems,
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
o The “Gilded Age” City- Twain referred to the US as the Gilded Country, gold on
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/07/2008 for the course HIST 106 taught by Professor Smith during the Spring '08 term at Texas A&M.

Page1 / 5

The Progressive Era - The Progressive Era An Urbanizing...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online