Unformatted text preview: ids that make up its structure.
• Proteins are amphoteric substances – they can behave as either acids or bases.
• The degree of acidity of alkalinity affects food quality and depends on the pH of the medium
surrounding the food protein.
Denaturation- The unfolding of the protein structure.
• Can be thought of as the relaxation of protein tertiary structure
• Alters functional properties (solubility, enzymatic reaction)
• Unique to proteins
o When roasting meat, actin, myosin and myoglobin denature
o Cooking an egg – denatures ovalbumin
o Whipping whites denatures some of the protein and helps stabilize the foam
Emulsification – proteins can stabilize emulsion by acting at the oil-water interface
• Since protein molecules contain both hydrophobic and hydrophilic regions, they can situate
themselves between the two phases to stabilize them
• Meat tissue, milk, eggs and soy all conta...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 05/28/2013 for the course FDSC 1049 taught by Professor Bond during the Fall '09 term at LSU.
- Fall '09