This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: hen ventricles relaxed Varicose Veins
Varicose Veins Enlarged, twisted, superficial veins Develop when valves fail to prevent backflow – Blood accumulates, vein becomes engorged & distended
– Excess fluid may seep, causing edema Most occur in legs Typically not painful Medical Word Elements
Medical Word Elements Angi/o, vascul/o vessel Aort/o aorta Arterio/o artery Ather/o fatty plaque – Angioplasty: surgical repair of a vessel
– Aortostenosis: narrowing of aorta – Arteriosclerosis: hardening of arteries
– Atheroma: tumor of fatty plaque Medical Word Elements
Medical Word Elements Atri/o atrium Cardi/o heart Electr/o electric My/o muscle – Atrial: pertaining to atrium – Cardiomegaly: enlargement of heart
– Electrocardiogram: record of electrical impulses of heart
– Myocardial: pertaining to heart muscle Medical Word Elements
Medical Word Elements Phleb/o, ven/o vein Thromb/o blood clot Ventricul/o ventricle – Phlebotomy: incision in vein (drawing blood)
– Thrombophlebitis: inflammation of a vein from a blood clot
– Ventricular: pertaining to ventr...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 05/27/2013 for the course KINS 2431 taught by Professor N/a during the Fall '10 term at Temple.
- Fall '10