This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: tation
• Step 1: Determine the formulas for the
possible products using the general
double-displacement equation. AB + CD → AD + CB • Step 2: Predict whether either of the
possible products is water insoluble. If
either possible product is insoluble, a
precipitation reaction takes place, and
you may continue with step 3. If neither is
insoluble, write “No reaction”. Water Solubility
• Ionic compounds with the following ions are
– NH4+, group 1 metal ions, NO3−, and C2H3O2− • Ionic compounds with the following ions are
– Cl−, Br−, I− except with Ag+ and Pb2+
– SO42− except with Ba2+ and Pb2+ • Ionic compounds with the following ions are
– CO32−, PO43−, and OH− except with NH4+ a...
View Full Document