This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: thans and
• GH gene present in lampreys. Stimulates
IGF in lamprey liver.
• Sharks tested also have GH, as do
lungfish and several teleosts. IGF activity
in sharks has not definitely been linked to
GH yet. PRL, GH and SL in Bony Fishes
• PRL important for osmoregulation in
• Regulates ion and water movement in
gills, kidney, intestine, urinary bladder (vs.
swim bladder) and skin
• Stimulates mucus secretion by gills,
intestine and skin. Blue discus (Symphysodon
aequifasciatus) 2 3/15/13 Bluegill Sunfish (Lepomis
macrochirus) 3-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus
aculeatus) PRL, GH and SL in Bony Fishes
• Teleost PRLs not very effective in
• Teleost PRLs all lack N-terminal
disulphide bond that is present in
sturgeon, lungfishes and tetrapods.
• Teleosts have two PRL genes and two
forms of PRL 3 3/15/13 PRL, GH and SL in Bony Fishes
• Teleost GH active in mammals and vice-versa
• Interaction with thyroid hormones...
View Full Document
- Spring '13