The Changing American Society: Values
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The WML, WMA, and WNBA have _____.
A. succeeded due to America's increased focus on nature
B. been a response to the changing role of women in American society
C. been slow to grow due to the shift toward more traditional values
D. been slow to grow due to women's lack of involvement in general fitness activities
E. none of the above
2. The percentage of U.S. women who watch sports on TV every week is _____.
A. 5 percent
B. 25 percent
C. 50 percent
D. 75 percent
E. none of the above
3. ____ are widely held beliefs that affirm what is desirable.
B. Cultural values
4. Which of the following is true regarding changes in American cultural values?
A. Shifts in cultural values are not observable.
B. Changes in values tend to occur quickly.
C. Changes in values tend to occur evenly across individuals and groups.
D. There is substantial variance in values across individuals and groups.
E. Cultural values are constant.
5. Which of the following provides an accurate description of the organic food market?
A. foods which meet USDA standards so that they are certified organic enhance consumer trust
B. organic sales are expected to grow to $50 million by 2010
C. roughly two-thirds of Americans buy organic foods regularly
D. supermarkets are expected to begin carrying organic foods by 2010
E. all of the above describe the organic food market
6. Which of the following has NOT been found to be a top motive for organic purchases?
A. lower cost
D. food safety
7. Mitch buys organic food and does not eat any foods containing pesticides, herbicides or
antibiotics. He based this lifestyle decision on his belief that food grown without the use of
chemicals keeps them out of our bodies directly (we don't consume them in our food) and
indirectly (they don't end up in our drinking water through run-off). On which motive did Mitch
base his decision?
B. health and environment factors
C. governmental policy
D. religious reasons
E. all of the above are motives on which Mitch based his decision
8. When did Americans begin to place increased emphasis on leisure, immediate gratification,
and sensual gratification?
A. after the end of the Civil War
B. after the end of World War I
C. during the Depression
D. after the end of World War II
E. after the Vietnam War
9. Leigh is working on a research project for her marketing class, and her assignment is to study
how Americans' values with
respect to consumer behavior
have changed in the past 50 years.
Which of the following would give her the best insight into these changes?
This is the end of the preview. Sign up
access the rest of the document.